JOSEPH IGNACIO FLORES
Joe Flores was born In Morenci, Arizona, on December 8, 1914. He graduated from Morenci High School in 1932 and went on to earn a Bachelor's of Arts in Zoology from the University of Arizona in June, 1938. Additionally, he completed graduate work in management, personnel administration, and social work at the University of Arizona and Arizona State University. He also attended the Executive Leadership Seminar at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., the Manpower Policy and Programs Seminar at University of Minnesota, and the Management Seminar at the American Management Association in New York City.
Upon earning his college degree, he was employed as a Maricopa County Welfare Board social worker for three years before joining the Arizona State Employment Service (now Department of Economic Security) in 1941. His employment there was interrupted for two and a half years while he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He returned to state employment service where his 25-year career included the positions of Deputy Chief of Farm Placement, Chief Occupational Analyst, Director of Personnel and Training and, ultimately, Chief of Organization Planning and Development. In 1968, Flores accepted the position of Assistant Regional Manpower Administrator for Region IX of the U.S. Department of Labor in San Francisco, California, until his retirement in 1979.
His community affiliations included: Member, National and Local Board of Directors for Jobs for Progress, Inc. (Operation SER) and (Phoenix Operation SER); President, Board of Directors (1966) and Board Member for Friendly House from 1954 to 1968; The American Red Cross, Maricopa County Chapter; ESC Federal Credit Union, President and Member Board of Directors; Phoenix LEAP Steering Committee Member and Phoenix Council 284 of LULAC.
Flores had a special place in his heart for Friendly House as was evidenced by his work on the Board of Directors for 14 years. During that time, he led the capital campaign that funded the construction of a significant Friendly House building. He also had a special place in his heart for education, which he believed was the key to making a better life for oneself. It was this philosophy that led to naming Academia del Pueblo after him and that which prompted his family to establish and award a scholarship in his name through Friendly House for 10 years.
By: Patricia Flores Kriegsfeld